Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sugar cane and water chestnut drink


It is so hot in Houston and it is only the beginning of summer! Jun temperatures are soaring to as high as 100 degree F! And it will be even worse during July and August! Though it is not as humid as Singapore, but you can feel your skin like burning if you are outdoors. I think I have never been so dark before in my whole life!

Must really cook some cooling stuff like 凉茶. That day I saw Ranch supermart selling sugar cane. I was so happy! This is because you can hardly find sugar cane here. The sweetness of sugar cane juice immediately came into my mind. I quickly grab 2 sticks though it is not cheap. One stick slightly longer than a long ruler cost 2.99 US dollar! Don't care just grab it since I have not had sugar cane juice for ages! And sugar cane drink is one of my fav cooling tea for summer! It also reminds me of my mum cos she likes to cook this for us when the weather gets hot in Singapore.

The sugar cane and water chestnut drink taste so heavenly! And I have stored it in the fridge which makes it even more yummy in a hot sunny day. My mouth is watering even when I am writing this blog. Too bad I don't find the supermart selling anymore :( Praying hard I will find it again soon. This time I will grab more hehe!

Ingredients:
1) 2 sticks of sugar cane
2) 10 water chestnuts
3) 10 sugared melon (糖冬瓜)
4) 6 to 10 bowls of water

Directions:
1) Chop off the skin of the sugar cane and cut it into smaller pieces horizontally. The skin is pretty tough so you may need a chopper. Must be careful of your hands when chopping.
2) Peel off the skin of the water chestnut.
3) Bring the water to boil and add in all the ingredients. Boil it under medium heat until the water chestnut and the sugar cane become slightly transparent. I boil it for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
4) If you like it more sweet can add in sugar.

PS: My mum says that can add in some cilantro if you want it to be more "cooling". That is if you don't mind the taste of cilantro in your drink.

1 comment:

  1. US$2.99 for a stick of sugar cane??? If I could send you sugar cane, I would!!!

    ReplyDelete