Sunday, July 17, 2011

Stir fry ladies finger (Okra) with dried shrimps and chilli


Some people don't like to eat slimy vegetables. But I just love them! Brinjals, ladies finger are some of my favourite! When I saw the US supermarkets selling ladies finger, I was shocked! Never knew ang moh likes to eat that. Anyway they don't call it ladies finger they call it Okra. The people here usually cook ladies finger as a stew with other veggies and meat.

Well I know ladies fingers is best cooked with sambal chilli in Singapore. But I have cooked it several times so I am recalling how my mum cooked it other than sambal chilli. I think she has cooked it with dried shrimp. Therefore I will replicate it and add some chilli padi to add some kick. Actually adding chilli also a way of getting rid of so many chilli padi I have at home. As I have mentioned in my earlier post, my husband has been planting chilli padi since last year and we just can't seem to finish the chilli padi at home.

Surprisingly, my husband likes to eat this dish. He is those who don't really like to eat slimy vegetables. But after tasting the ladies finger he says,"hmm not bad!" He is pretty strict in his praise for food which is nice. So "not bad" in his dictionary for praising food means pretty good.  Woo I am so happy!


Ingredients:
1) 15 to 20 small ladies fingers (the supermarket here only sells small ones in a packet which has around 15 to 20 )
2) A handful of dried shrimps
3) 4 to 5 chilli padi cut into small slices.
4) 3 cloves of garlic minced

Steps:
1) Wash the dried shrimps. Than soak the shrimps with boiling water until they are softened. When they are softened, pour away the water. Add some Shaoxing Wine to the shrimps and let them soak for a while.
2) Cut the ladies finger into pieces at a slanted angle.
3) Heat some oil in the pan and when the oil is hot, add in the dried shrimps and stir fry until you can smell the aroma of the Shaoxing wine and the shrimps are dry.
4)  Add in the garlic and stir fry until you can smell the aroma of the garlic. Be careful not to burnt them.
5) Add in the chilli and stir fry for a while.
6) Add in the ladies finger and stir fry until they are soft. If it is too dry you can add some water.
7) Add in some salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment