Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Home Made Soya Bean Milk without the Soya Bean Milk machine

That day I was watching "冰冰好料理" and they are featuring how to make soya bean milk without using the soya bean milk machine! All you need is a blender! I was very delighted cos I have a blender which is sitting in my kitchen cabinet. I think I am pretty sua gu about this way of making soya bean milk. When I tell my neighbour and my friends, they seem to know it already haha! 

Recently, I am trying to eat everything natural as much as possible. This recipe just fit the bill. 1 bag of soya beans can make lot's of soya bean milk and it is definitely cheaper than buying soya bean milk in the supermarket. I have a packet of organics soya bean at home anyway, so I must give it a try. Since I can't take sugar and sweet stuff I did not add any sugar. But it taste equally good! I have made it twice. The first time I followed http://www.noobcook.com/soy-bean-milk/ 's recipe which has added panda leaves. Maybe because the panda leaves I had are frozen ones that's why I don't think it make much difference to whether I add or don't. It has a little bit of pandan fragrance. The second time I have decided not to add. And I prefer the soya bean milk this time because I can really taste the soya beans and the fragrance of it. Now I have a 2 litres of soya bean milk in my fridge, I can have it anytime I like. I have a lot of soya beans leftovers after squeezing out the juice. I have thrown them away the 1st time. I think it is wasting food.  Luckily I managed to find a recipe of using it to make 豆酥。豆酥is more commonly used in making 豆酥鳕鱼. 1 bottle of 豆酥is pretty expensive. Now I can make myself! I will post the recipe next time. 

My next target is making tou huay(豆花)without using 石膏粉. Hmm let me do some research and I will tell you my results in my later post after I have tried to make my tou huay. 

Ingredients:
1) 1 cup of soya beans (the cup here refers to the measuring cup for rice)
2) Approximate 1 litre of water 

Tools:
1) Blender
2) A cloth filter/muslin bag with fine holes 
3) A sieve

Directions:
1) Wash the soya beans and soak it overnight or around 6 to 8 hours.
2) Pour away the water and wash the beans a few times.
3) Scoop a tablespoon of beans into the blender. Add 300 ml of water and blend it together. (my ratio is 1 tablespoon to 300 ml of water)
4) Do it a few times until you finished blending the beans.
5) Pour the mixture into the cloth filter and squeeze out the water. I filter the soya bean milk with a sieve again after squeezing out the juices. I put the cloth over the sieve and place the sieve (with the cloth) over the pot 
6) Bring the soya bean milk to a gentle simmer (not boiling or the milk will curd) over medium low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. After simmering, add sugar to taste and stir until they dissolve. Off the flame.

PS : If you like almond flavour in your soya bean milk. You can add in some 南杏 when you are simmering the soya bean milk. Than you can make 杏仁豆腐with the soya bean milk too isn't it?! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment