Monday, October 3, 2011

Steam Egg with mushrooms and prawns


I love eggs! Anyway you cook it, I will still love it. When I am lazy I will cook steam eggs. For steam eggs, my mum usually add scallops or minced meat or salted eggs with thousand century eggs. All these I have tried, therefore would love to explore into something different. That day I was watching my favourite 吃饭皇帝大 and they are teaching how to use can food to cook a good meal. This 小粉红used can five spice meat to come up with a sauce which he pour it on top of the steam eggs. Pretty interesting! But the can five spiced meat here is pretty expensive, and we try not to eat too much can food. Therefore, I copied the idea but uses mushrooms and prawns to come up with a gravy instead.  You can use your creativity with the ingredients you want to add to the sauce.  Maybe you can use chicken or you can come up with a sweet and spicy sauce too!

I love my new version of steam eggs. I can just eat my favourite steam eggs and the gravy to go with my rice for my dinner! 

Ingredients:
1) 3 eggs
2) 1 packet of mushrooms (i used 鸿喜菇,you can use any type you like) 
3) 6-8 medium size prawns, dried completely and cut into chunks
4) Chicken stock or you can use water
5) Oyster sauce
6) Some corn starch water (around 3/4 rice bowl)
7) Salt and pepper to taste

Steps:
1) Beat 3 eggs well. Add in the chicken stock or water , salt and pepper. Mix them well. The ratio of water to eggs is 1:1. I beat the eggs in a measuring cup. The 3 eggs adds up to 175ml. Than I add 175ml of water and mix them well.
2) Pour the mixture into a deep dish to steam. Use plastic wrap (保鲜纸)to cover the dish but leave a small hole.
3) When the eggs are done. In a pan, add some oil and stir fry the mushrooms and prawns. The prawns must be properly dried so that the prawns will be crunchy (that is what the cooking show taught me). When the prawns are almost done, add in the oyster sauce. Stir fry for a while. Dissolve some corn starch in water or chicken stock. Than add in the mixture and stir with the ingredients to mix well. When the sauce thickens, you can turn off the fire and pour it on top of the eggs.



No comments:

Post a Comment