Sunday, October 16, 2011

Stir Fry Fish Slices with Fermented Black Bean Sauce 豆豉炒鱼片


I love to use Lee Kum Kee's garlic fermented black bean sauce to steam pork ribs. I bought a big bottle but besides using the sauce for the dish, I was thinking of what other dishes can I use that for. Some time ago, I saw this recipe of using the black beans to stir fry fish head. I decided to change the fish head to fish slices. I have cooked this several times. Sometimes I use the Lee Kum Kee's sauce and sometimes I use the whole fermented black beans. I think both tastes good! You can use other brand's for the sauce but whichever you use, you must taste it before you cook so that you know how salty is the sauce and than you can decide on the amount of sugar to use. For the fish slices, I bought the swai fillets which my husband likes to eat cos the meat is tender. When I am not lazy, I will coat the fish with a little bit of flour and shallow fry them before cooking with the other ingredients. For a healthier version, I will skip this step. If you choose not to fry the fish than you must be careful of not over stirring the fish to mix the sauce so that the fish slices will not break into small pieces. I have used celery to cook with fish. If you don't like it, you can add other vegetables. Maybe you can consider adding the coloured peppers. They are also very good for health. But my fussy eater boss at home doesn't like to eat those, that's why I use celery. 

Ingredients:
1) Fish slices 
2) 1 tablespoon of Lee Kum Kee's garlic fermented black bean sauce
3) 2 to 3 sticks of celery cut into chunks
4) 1 teaspoon of sugar
5) 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine
6) 1 clove of garlic, minced

Steps:
1) Heat up the pan with some oil and add in the garlic. Stir fry for a while.
2) Add in the Lee Kum Kee's garlic fermented black bean sauce and stir fry until you can smell the fragrance of the sauce.
3) Add in the sugar.
4) Add in the fish slices and stir fry them until they are almost cooked.
5) Add in the celery.
6) Stir fry to mix the ingredients well and add in the shaoxing wine. 
7) When the fish are cooked, you are ready to serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment