Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ang Ku Kuih without the Ang Ku 没有红龟的红龟粿 ;p


Ang Ku Kuih is usually used for 拜拜or during babies 1st month celebration, according to the Hokkien tradition(I think it is Hokkien) , they will give ang ku kuih. It is call ang ku (红龟) because it is made using red colouring and they are put into a mould with a tortoise shape in it. The filling is usually made of green beans or peanuts. I prefer the green beans filling. Actually it is the green beans filling which makes me crave for ang ku kuih haha. Since I can't find any ang ku kuih here in Houston, I will have to make it myself. 

As usual I have searched the net and combine 2 recipes.  One is from Rasa Malaysia and the other is Asian Kitchen. I learnt the way to make the filling from Rasa Malaysia's blog and the skin recipe from My Asian Kitchen.  I like the way the Asian Kitchen make the skin cos it uses Purple sweet potato which gives the kuih the natural purple colour (though it is not red, but I am ok with it). As I don't have the mould, I will just make it into a ball hehe. 

I think the filling is a bit difficult to make. I have melted the sugar with the heated oil.But when I add in the green beans, the mixture starts to become lumpy and I can see the sugar becomes like gluey. Had a difficult time trying to melt the sugar again. In the end I added more oil and patiently stir and mix the mixture well. Don't know what went wrong or maybe there is a secret formula to do this. Anyone can tell me how to do it?? 

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients for Filling:
300g Split Green Bean (Washed and soaked for 6 hours)
200g Fine Sugar (I reduce it to 150g as I try not to eat too sweet)
4Tbsp Oil
Method:
1  Steam green bean over boiling water for 30-40 minutes till soft.

2  Blend or mashed green bean till become a paste.

3  In a wok, combine green bean paste, sugar and oil. Stir on low medium heat till thick and do not stick to your hands. (This part I can't get the thicker consistency don't know what went wrong)

4  Cool it and shaped into balls. 

Ang Ku Skin
    Ingredients:
    150 gm cooked purple sweet potato,peeled and mashed
    375 gm glutinous rice flour(sifted)
    200 ml water
    50 gm sugar
    3 tbsp oil
    15 x banana leave (8x8 cm)
    Method:
    1  Steam sweet potato till cooked.Mash well while it's still hot,set aside in a large bowl.

    2 Combine 40 gm of glutinous rice flour with 30 ml of water, knead into dough.Add the dough into rolling boil water and cook until it's floats, dish out and set aside. 

    3  Mix the remaining portion of flour with sugar and water, mashed sweet potato, oil and the cooked dough. Knead all ingredients well till all smooth and combine. Divided the dough into 15 equal portion into ball shape. (I did not add all the water in one shot. And I add the oil last, 1 tbsp at a time)

    4 Flatten each ball shape dough in round shape on your palm, place the green bean fillings on the center of the dough.Wrap the filling and roll into a ball.

    Place the ang ku kueh on a pieces of cut banana leaf brushed with oil

    Uncook version

    Prepared water in steamer at high heat and bring it to boil.Placed ang ku kueh in the steamer rack about 2 inch each apart.(if not it will stick together when it bloom when steaming) Steam over medium heat for 10 minutes.

    Remove and brush with some oil.(I didn't brush with oil for a healthier version).

    I find my green bean filling a bit dry and the skin is too thin. I guess I might have added too much water or my filling is too big ;p. I think next time I will add less water and oil at a time to get a better ang ku kuih skin. But overall, I have satisfied my craving for ang ku kuih !! Yummy. I am eating one when finishing this post ;)





    No comments:

    Post a Comment