Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Dong Cai (冬菜) Steam Minced Pork

Don't really remember I fancy this dish. Every time my mum or my mother-in-law cooks this dish, I would only scoop a little. I prefer mushroom steam minced pork than dong cai steam minced pork. This time round I decided to cook this dish because my husband miss this dish which his mother cook. 

Surprisingly, I love my own version of dong cai steam minced pork. I think mine taste better than my mum's and my MIL's ;p  I really don't know what I did which makes my version more tasty. I just feel that mum's and MIL's version of this dish, the dong cai taste is too strong and cover the sweetness of the meat. I like my version because I can taste the sweetness meat and the dong cai compliments the sweet taste too. For those who love dong cai taste maybe you will not like my version.  

Ingredients:
1) Minced pork about 200 g
2) Dong cai around 1 to 2 teaspoon
3) Ginger juice around 2 teaspoon
4) Oyster sauce around 1 tablespoon
5) Sesame seed oil 
6) Pepper
7) Corn starch around 1 tablespoon
8) 1/4 cup of water 
9) Some chopped spring onion

Steps:
1) Wash the dong cai and squeeze out the water.
2) Marinate the meat with oyster sauce, ginger juice, sesame oil, pepper and corn starch.
3) Add in the water a little at a time and mix it with the meat until all the liquid is absorbed into the meat.
4) Hold the meat in your hand and smash the meat on the plate or bowl. The more times you do it the more springy your meat will be. But be careful not to splash it all over the place. It's a good way to vent your anger or frustration ;p
5) Add in the dong cai and spring onion mix well. Let the meat marinate for at least 1/2 hour. 
6) Steam the meat for around 20 to 25 minutes.
7) When the meat is cooked, you can add some chopped cilantro or some more spring onion on top.


My typical dinner of 1 soup, 1 veggie and 1 meat or fish. When i don't feel like using the pan to stir fry I will steam/ bake fish or meat and my veggie will be poached veggie with oyster sauce. 懒人煮饭法 ;p


No comments:

Post a Comment