Monday, November 14, 2011

Vegetable Curry 杂菜咖哩


I have been trying to finish up the cabbage in my fridge. Cooked the Okonomiyaki, stir fry it, cook soup with it, but there is still a lot left. The cabbage they sold here is really one huge ball! Luckily, the cabbage can be kept for quite a while, if not it will be wasted. Running out of ways to cook cabbage and I suddenly came across the vegetable curry recipe. A great dish on a cold night for dinner and I can try to get rid of some of my cabbage too ;p. Oh and also I am trying to finish up my home made chilli paste in the fridge too so kill many birds in one stone.


I got this recipe from Kitchen Snippets. It was suppose to be Nonya Vegetable Curry. But looking at my own cooked version and how it taste, it taste more like my mum's version of curry japchai (杂菜咖哩). It turn out to be very thick. Maybe next time I will not add so much coconut cream. But I have followed closely to the recipe in the website. But though it is thick it taste good for me. You can add your own variety of vegetables. For me, I have added fish balls as I remember my mum used to add that to her curry japchai and we love fish balls too. If you find blending the spice paste too troublesome you can just get the vegetable curry spice mix in the supermarket. I am sure it will taste very good too!


Ingredients:
1) 1 eggplant cut into chunks
2) 10 ladies finger cut into chunks
3) Cabbage cut into big pieces
4) 1 Carrot cut into slices
5) 10-15 small tou poks
6) 10-15 fish balls
7) 2 - 2 1/2 cups of coconut milk
8) 2 tbsp curry power, mixed with 3 tbsp water
9) Salt and sugar to taste



Spice Paste ingredients:
1) 3 stalks of lemongrass
2) 2 cm galangal
3) 1" fresh turmeric
4) 8 shallots
5) 6 garlic
7) 3 pieces candlenuts
8) 3 tbsp sambal oelek


Steps:
1) Blend the spice paste ingredients.
2) Heat up about 3 tbsp of oil in the pan. Stir-fried the blended ingredients until fragrant. 
3) Add in the curry powder. Continue to stir-fry so that it won’t burn. Add in a little bit of coconut milk. Continue to stir-fry until you see oil starts to appear.
4) Add in the rest of the coconut milk. Bring it up to boil. Add in the carrots. Cover and let it cook for 5 minute. Add in the rest of the vegetables and continue to cook over medium low heat until vegetables are about done.
5) Add in the bean curd pockets. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and sugar to taste. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment