Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Okonomiyaki 大阪烧

I am fortunate to get to know a Japanese friend who used to stay in the apartment where I stay. Her name is Ryoko. She is very friendly and adventurous in terms of food. The first time when we went out for lunch she brought me to eat Indian food. She says she love spicy food. She is so kind to cook Japanese curry and gave me some too. Frankly speaking, I have never tried Japanese curry but thanks to her now I love it. And she even introduced me to a Singaporean who stays in my area! Than this Singaporean introduced me to another Singaporean who happens to be the wife of my husband's colleague! What a small world! Now I have introduced my Shanghai neighbour to them. So we form a little group.

We will gather once in a while either to go out for lunch or a gathering in one of our places. So far we have met in Ryoko's place for a makan session. I taught her how to make Hainanese Chicken Rice and she taught us how to make Okonomiyaki! We have great fun that day. We are planning for another session soon. We have called this Culinary Culture Exchange gathering in short CCE haha!

I remember when I left Singapore this Okonomiyaki dish is pretty popular during that time. There is this shop in Old Daimaru where they have an open kitchen concept selling this. Have always wanted to try in that shop but never had the chance. Hehe now I can make my own!

This is a very easy to make pancake and very healthy too. It has lot's of vegetables which is cabbage. All of us love it at first taste at Ryoko's place. I have decided to get all the ingredients and make it! This became my dinner on Sunday!


Ingredients:
1) 1 cup of Okonomiyaki Flour
2) 2 eggs
3) 3/4 cup water
4) Shredded cabbage
5) 1-2 stalk of chopped green onion
6) 4 pieces of sliced pork belly
7) Chopped Japanese pickled ginger
8) Okonomiyaki sauce
9) Japanese Mayo
10) Bonito flakes
11)Roasted seaweed
12) Seafood mix (those frozen ones with shrimps and squid)
Some of my ingredients

Steps:
1) Mix the flour and water in a large bowl until there are no lumps.
2) Add in the eggs, cabbage, chopped onions, pickled ginger and seafood inside the batter. Combine them well gently.
3) Wipe some oil onto the non stick pan using a brush. Heat the oil using medium heat. Scope the mixture onto the pan and spread it evenly. For one cup of flour, we can make two Okonomiyaki using my 30cm pan. So divide out the mixture into 2 portions.
4) Layer the pork belly meat on top. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the bottom browns.
5) Flip the patty to cook the side with the meat layered on top for approximately 5 minutes or until fully cooked. One tip to flip the patty is to get a plate ready and scope up the patty onto the plate (cooked side on the plate) Than with one hand holding the plate, and another hand holding the pan,  "pour" the patty onto the pan to cook the uncooked side.
6) Flip the patty once more (meat side up) and cook approximately 2-3 minutes.
7) To serve, squeeze the mayo and Okonomiyaki sauce on top of the pancake (on the meat side). Than sprinkle the bonito flakes and seaweed on top.


Before Deco

Deco Part 1

Finished!
PS: My friend Ryoko added Sakura prawns in this dish. But I can't find it and I happen to have some frozen seafood mix that's why I have added that inside. If you like more cabbage please do add more. Next time I will try to add kimchi to add a spicy flavour ;p!

No comments:

Post a Comment