Monday, November 21, 2011

Bo Bo Cha Cha? Bubur Cha Cha? 摩摩喳喳

 
Bo Bo Cha Cha or Bubur Cha Cha? The correct one is Bubur Cha Cha! But we sometimes call it Bo Bo Cha Cha. It is one of my favourite desert which my mum will cook once in a while. It is actually a Nyonya desert. Today I have a gathering with my friends staying near me (in my previous post I mentioned that we will meet up once in a while and we call it Culinary Culture Exchange ;p ) and our theme is Nyonya food. Therefore I have decided to cook this desert and otah for the gathering. 

I have used purple sweet potato and orange sweet potato this time. That's why the broth turned light purple. Bubur Cha Cha is not complete without the tapioca jelly. This time I have made my own jelly and I have added some tapioca pearls which I have managed to find at the chinatown supermarket. 
Cooked own made tapioca jelly

I am sure some of you are like me. I like to eat Bubur Cha Cha because of the chewy tapioca jelly. It is pretty easy to make. Place 100g of tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup of boiling water into the flour. Mix the flour and water until well incorperated. Be careful cos it will be hot! If you like you can add colouring and roll the dough till the colour is well distributed. For me I have chopped up my gula melaka into small pieces and mix them in the dough that's how my jellies become yellow colour. I learn this method in another blog.  Roll the dough on a surface with flour on it. Roll into any shape you like. For me I just roll it into a long rod like shape and cut in into small chunks. Boil a pot of boiling water. Add in the tapioca jelly. Stir it so that the jellies do not stick together. When they float in the water they are done. I will put them in a bowl of cold water first and than add them into the Bubur Cha Cha when it is cooked.

It is pretty easy to make this desert. Just that you need to cut up the yam and sweet potatoes. And if you are lazy to make your own tapioca jelly, you can buy the pre made ones ;)

Ingredients: (serve 6 to 7)
1) 1/2 a medium size yam cut into cubes
2) 2 small purple sweet potatoes cut into cubes
3) 1 big orange sweet potatoes cut into cubes
4) 200 ml of thick coconut milk
5) 8 bowls of water
6) 4 tablespoons sugar (the amount depends on how sweet you like)
7) 2 pandan leaves
8) Tapioca jellies

Steps:
1) Bring the water to boil. Than add in the pandan leaves, sweet potatoes and yam. Cook them till they are soft.
2) Add in the sugar and coconut milk.
3) Add in the tapioca jellies.
4) When the sugar has dissolved. You can serve. If you like it cold you can put it in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment