Monday, April 23, 2012

Balsamic Glazed Salmon


Salmon one of my favourite fish in cooking. I eat it almost at least twice in a week. As we can get really fresh Norwegian salmon at the seafood wholesale at Seabrook near my place, we usually buy a real huge fillet cut. Last week we bought a 7 pound salmon fillet and looks like it can last us for 2 weeks.


So my homework is to find different ways to cook salmon so that we (or maybe me) will not get bored with eating the fish cooked in the same way. I have already experimented and posted some of the ways I have tried in the blog. Today I will add another addition. This time I have used balsamic vinegar. A western way of cooking. It is real simple and I love the sourish and sweet glaze. I got this recipe from Giada in one of her cooking shows. I like her recipes cos it's simple Italian cooking. If you have a bottle of balsamic vinegar and don't know how to use it except for salads you can give this a try.


Ingredients
Glaze:
  • 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup (i use honey instead)
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed or chopped
Salmon:
  • Four 6-ounce center-cut salmon fillets, skinned
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions
For the glaze: In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and garlic to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until thick, about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
For the salmon: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the salmon on the baking sheet. Drizzle both sides of the salmon with the olive oil and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Drizzle the salmon with the glaze.



Since there are still some sauce left, I have make a salad and use the glaze as a salad dressing to go with my fish



No comments:

Post a Comment