Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homemade XO sauce

XO sauce is a very good condiment to stock up in the fridge. I will use it to stir fry asparagus, long beans prawns etc. However it is a pretty expensive condiment. I have seen the recipe on the web and the cooking show on how to make one one at home. You will need a lot of time to get the stuff ready and to cook it slowly in the wok. I have copied down the recipe for some time but just too lazy to "challenge" myself into making it. Until one day, I have finished my store bought XO sauce and I guess it's time to try making my own version of it.

I adapted my version of XO sauce from 2 recipes. One is from 冰冰好料理, the other I have forgotten which website I have downloaded from (sorry for not acknowledging the source). The amount of ingredients listed will yield a small pot of XO sauce, which is a lot for me. I did not know that the ingredients listed in the recipe will get me such a huge amount of sauce until I have soaked up the dried scallops.  Well since the scallops have already been soaked might as well use all. Luckily I can keep the cooked XO sauce in the fridge. And I have given some to my neighbour. I guess I will have to think of more ways to cook with this sauce ;p

My one small pot of XO sauce

Ingredients

1   10 fresh red chilies
2   15 dried chilies – soak in hot water
3   200g dried scallops – soak overnight until soft
4   2 head of garlic - peeled
5   10 shallots - peeled
6   200g dried shrimp – soak in hot water until soft. Drain the water and use Shaoxing wine to soak it for a while.
7   150g Chinese ham - chopped into small pieces
8   100g sakura prawns (樱花虾) - optional, chopped into small pieces
9   2 tbsp spicy bean paste sauce (辣豆瓣酱)
10 2 tbsp sugar
11  ½ tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
12  2 tbsp oyster sauce
13 1 tbsp Chilli powder -- optional

Steps:
1. Drain scallops, tear them into fine shreds, pat it dry on paper towel and set it aside. Drain dry shrimps and chopped finely and set it aside.
2. Put the shallots in food processor and chop it finely. Do the same to the garlic too, remove and set it aside.
3. Remove the steam and seeds of the fresh chilies and dry chilies. Chopped it finely in the food processor and set it aside. 
4. Heat up about a cup of vegetable oil in a frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Add in scallops and frying it until crispy and lightly brown. Remove and set it aside. In the same oil, add in (accordingly): garlic, shallots, chinese ham, sakura prawns dried prawns. Stir constantly and cook until lightly brown. After adding each ingredient, stir fry until you can smell the fragrance of each ingredient than you add in the next ingredient. Be careful not to burnt the ingredients, you have to keep stirring.
5. Add in chilies and scallops. Lower down the heat and continue to fry for another 10 minutes. Add more oil if necessary. Stir constantly as it may burn easily.
6. Add in the seasonings. Continue stir fry until it is completely dry. Remove from heat and let it cool. 
7. Transfer to sterile jar and keep in the refrigerator.

Note: I have transfered the cool off XO sauce into a small pot and let it sit for 2 days before transferring them into jars. According to one of the recipes, this process will allow all the fragrances and seasonings to mingle and mix with each other. 


Mine is a bit dry compared to those sold at stores as I did not add a lot of oil. I find store bought ones are too oily. All together I have squeezed this pot of sauce into 6 bottles ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment