Monday, July 2, 2012

Missing my mum's dish--- Stuff squid with minced meat


One of my friends is complaining about why I am so slow in posting new dishes. Ops sorry because I was "addicted" to crocheting for the past few weeks. I am still cooking 6 days a week hehe!

Just feel like cooking this stuff squid with minced meat when I see some pretty fresh squid in the supermarket. My mum used to cook this dish once in a while. And I really look forward to dinner whenever she cook this. As my dad has high cholesterol my mum seldom cook squid and prawns. I have inherited my dad's high cholesterol therefore I seldom cook and eat prawns and squid too. But once in a while I will still pamper myself in these seafood.

This is a simple dish. You can buy squid which has already been cleaned or you can cleaned it yourself. My mum usually will just steam the stuff squid but for me I have added a sauce to it. Hope you like this dish :)

Ingredients:
1) 4 big cleaned squids or 8 medium ones
2) 250-300g of minced meat
3) Water chestnuts chopped into small pieces
4) Oyster sauce
5) white pepper
6) Shaoxing wine
7) Sesame seed oil
8) 2 tablespoons of Spicy bean sauce (辣豆瓣酱)
9) A dash of sugar

Steps:
1) Add the water chestnut in the minced meat and marinate the meat with some oyster sauce, sesame seed oil, Shaoxing wine and white pepper. Marinate for at least half an hour.

2) Stuff the squid with the minced meat. Do not stuff the meat all the way to the top of the squid because when the meat is cooked it will increased in size. If you stuff too much meat the meat will pop out of the squid. For the tentacles of the squid, stuff it on top of the squid and use a toothpick to secure it the squid.

3) Heat up the water in the steamer and when the water boils, add in the squid to steam for about 15 minutes or till the meat is cooked.

4) While steaming, mix the spicy bean sauce and sugar in a bowl. Use the microwave to heat the sauce. You can also heat it up in a wok. I am just lazy so I use the microwave ;p

5) When the stuff squid is cooked, pour the sauce on top and you can add in some chopped spring onions.




1 comment:

  1. my ma used to cook this too, like you ma - without the sauce! :)

    ReplyDelete