Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sushi --- Remembering the Sushi making good old days with my friends!


It's been a long time since I make sushi! Last time it is still not very common to eat Jap food at Jap restaurants. And I remember it is pretty expensive to eat Jap food too! Therefore it is the "in thing" to make our own sushi. If I did not remember wrongly, it is during my post JC days. My JC classmates also my dearest best friends will gather at someone's place and make sushi together. We had great fun thinking of what to put inside the sushi and buying the ingredients. We usually will get mango, jap mayo, jap cucumber, jap seasoned raddish, jap jellyfish, eggs, crabmeat sticks.   We will chat, gossip, and eat our freshly made sushi as we roll each one. Those are the good old days!

It is really not difficult to make it. This time, I am using the short grain brown rice.It is healthier and yet still has the sticky texture of the sushi rice. I did not get alot of ingredients as I am eating it alone at home for lunch and dinner and making some extras for my neighbour.  You can add any ingredients you like for eg deep fried soft shell crab, unagi, raw tuna or salmon etc.  想吃什么,就放什么!

Ingredients:
1) Jap short grain brown rice (i use 2-3 cups which can make 4 rolls and 8 beancurds sushi)
2) 1 jap cucumber cut into strips
3) 1 avocado cut into slices
4) 5-6 crabsticks
5) Can salmon in brine (I will squeeze out the brine and add in some mayo, black pepper and lemon juice)
6) Jap mayo
7) Sushi vinegar (or you can get the powder)
8) Nori Jap seaweed

I guess watching a video on how to make sushi is better than my lousy explanation on how to do it. So I have found one pretty good video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGG01tj9wi4&feature=related.  One thing about this video is that you can see that the layer of rice is pretty thick. I prefer less rice so I try to layer the rice thinly on the Nori roughly not more than 1 cm.

Hope you enjoy your sushi making day!


No comments:

Post a Comment