Saturday, March 24, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

Want to have a slice of chicken pot pie for tea time?? Have a craving for chicken pie recently. I remember my colleague used to go all the way to China square to buy chicken pie and shepherd from Don for our breakfast. And we love it! Breakfast time is a daily routine for us which we look forward to. We take turns to buy breakfast. And we eat, drink kopi and chit chat to boost our energy and mood level ;p before a tiring day starts. It's difficult for us to meet for lunch as our lunch time may differ or we skip lunch (cos no time) and end up eating late lunch or tea time on the way home at 3 plus. 

Ok back to chicken pot pie. It looks like you have to spend a lot of time to make. You have to make the pie crust and the roux(a mixture of fat usually butter and flour used in making thick sauces) for the filling. I am a lazy person and I am not good at making pastries so making all these by myself is out of the question. I found a short cut for making the chicken pie! It's all semi home made. I bought the pie crust from the supermarket and for the roux part I used can soup. I learn this method from the internet. So easy! I have some left over roast chicken so it is best to use it for the pot pie. For the vegetables part, you can use the frozen mix vegetables but since I have fresh ones I prefer to use fresh ones. 

These are the ingredients you need:
1 Store bought pie crust (9 inch)
2 1 stick of celery cut into small chunks
3 Carrots cut into small chunks
4 Half an onion cut into small chunk
5 Half a corn (you can use can ones but I use left over from the corn soup I cook yesterday) 
6 2 1/2 cup of chicken cut into chunks(I use left over roast chicken and fresh chicken thigh cos I don't have enough roast chicken to make up the 2 1/2 cup)
7 1 can soup (you can use any you like, I use the mushroom soup.) 

Steps:

1 Defrost the pie crust according to the instructions on the box. Once it's done. Roll out one pie crust onto the pie pan. 1 box of pie crust usually contains 2 rolls of pie crust. The left over piece you can set aside to use for the top of the pie. If you do not have a pan pan like me, I bought the disposable aluminum ones.

2 Heat up some oil or butter in a pan. Saute the onions till it sweats. Than add in the celery and carrots. Saute for a while.

3 Add in the chicken and cook till it is almost cooked.

4 Add in the corn.

5 Pour in the can soup. Mix the ingredients well with the soup. Be careful not to burnt it. If you feel that the sauce is too thick you can add in some milk or chicken stock. 

6 Add in the seasonings. For me I like it to be spicy so I added some black pepper and cayenne pepper. Give the mixture a taste. Some brands of can soup can be quite salty so if it is not salty enough you can add some salt. 

7 Pour the mixture into the pie pan. Roll the remaining pie crust on top of the pie. Crimp the sides of the pie crust together. Make some slits on top. 

8 If you want you can brush some egg wash onto the top of pie crust. Than you can put the pie in the oven at 425F (218C) for around 45 min or according to the instructions written on the box of the pie crust. Do take a look at the pie once in a while after 30 min. If the top starts to get browned too quickly, you can cover the top with aluminum foil. 

9 Once done, leave it to cool for about 5 minutes. 


It's a bit ugly as I am not good in cutting the pie. 

Can't resists eating 2 pieces ;p And half the pie is left for my neighbour and husband. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment