Thursday, September 1, 2011

Home made fish paste

The Paste

Hands itchy when I see the recipe for home made fish paste (http://food-4tots.com/2008/10/29/how-to-make-smooth-springy-fish-paste/) The supermarkets in Chinatown do sell fish paste but still not as tasty as those in Singapore. I still remember when I was young my mum and grandmother used to make fish paste using 西刀鱼 (that's the cantonese name of the fish). This fish has a lot of small tiny bones. My mum will use a spoon to scrap off the meat carefully cos there are too many little bones. 

I managed to find a recipe with the fish I can find here in Houston. This type of fish is spanish mackerel fish (鲛鱼). When I went to the supermarket, my gosh there are so many types of mackerel! I only remember mackerel but the specific type I didn't managed to get it. So I just try my luck and bought the King mackerel. Deh! Wrong one! But since I have bought it I might as well experiment it with this King Mackerel. Should not be too far out since they belong to the mackerel family ;p 

Cooked Fish Balls using the home made paste

Well, as you can see from the picture above the results is not as perfect. It is not as smooth and springy as I would love it to be. Maybe due to the fish or  my skills still needs sharpening ;p Making this fish paste needs pretty lot of work but I think it is worth it. And it is also a good exercise for your hand muscle haha! You will know why when you see the recipe. You can check out this website http://food-4tots.com/2008/10/29/how-to-make-smooth-springy-fish-paste/ for the recipe. I think it is a very good website as it has step by step pictures to show you how to make it. 

By the way I have just changed the settings for comments. I guess if you have problems leaving a comment in my blog you should be able to do it now. Thanks JY for telling me this problem. No wonder I feel lonely posting without any comments. Please feel free to teach me more ways or secrets to improve any dish! 





No comments:

Post a Comment