Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chicken Curry



Usually when I crave for curry chicken, I will buy prima deli's chicken curry mix. It is the best I have eaten so far and I can get it from the supermarket in Chinatown! Ever since I have learnt to make my own Sambal chilli paste, I have tried to make my own curry from scratch. This year when I went back to Singapore, my mother-in-law bought me 5 packets of meat curry powder and seafood curry powder each. I have so many in my pantry now! Have been trying to use up the curry powder but I don't think I can ever finish!

My neighbour has been giving us gumbo which he cooked for a few times already. He and his father can cook the best gumbo! Even much better than the restaurants! We are really pai sei (embarrassed). Therefore I decided to cook chicken curry for them as they love curry!  It is really not difficult to cook chicken curry from scratch. Just that you will need the time to chop the ingredients for the chilli paste. You can refer to my previous post on how to make the spice paste.

Ingredients: (serve 4 to 5)
1    Chicken wings and drumlets (you can use whole chicken too)
2    4 medium size potato  cut into chunks
3    3 tablespoons of spice paste (the recipe is for cooked spice paste, you can don't cook it too. This time I did not cook my paste)
4    4 tablespoons of curry powder
5    1 can of coconut cream (I can only get can coconut cream here. you can get fresh coconut and squeeze the juice to make curry too. it is definitely better!)
6    Water (around 6-8 bowls or till the water covers the chicken)
7    3 tablespoon of oil
8    Some salt and sugar

Steps:
1    Heat up oil in the pan. Add in the spice paste and saute till you see the oil seperates from the paste or when the paste turns a darker colour. Note: Use medium heat so as not to burnt the paste.
2   Add in the curry powder and saute till fragrant.
3   Add in water and stir well.
4   When the water boils, add in the chicken and potato.
5   Simmer till the chicken is cooked and potato is tender.
6   Add in the coconut milk, salt and sugar.
7   When the curry starts to simmer, you can turn off heat and serve.

Note: I have marinated the chicken with curry powder overnight. you can skip this step if you are lazy.




No comments:

Post a Comment