Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Coffee Meringues

I am not good at baking. From the previous unsuccessful experiments I think I am better in cooking dishes. But when I see Giada making this in one of her shows, I am very tempted to try baking one. After looking at many people talking about their failed tries at making meringues,  I am well prepared for another failed attempt at making this coffee meringues. There's always a first time.

I love to eat meringues cos they are so fluffy and light. And they are made of egg whites only, seems to be pretty healthy. But what we buy outside tends to  be pretty sweet. However, when I research about making good meringues, they were saying sugar is important factor in making good ones. Therefore, for my 1st try I shall stick to the original measurement for the sugar.

I does not have cream of tartar at home. That's why I think my meringue did not maintain it's light airy and fluffy shape. Pardon the ugly look of the meringue. I did not use pipping bag or plastic bag to pipe out. And I am BAD in shaping the meringue. I saw some chefs using only 2 spoons and they can get a pretty nice shape, but I failed haha.

Inside of the meringue. Pretty compact. Not light and fluffy. But still crunchy ;p

Add a scoop of blue bell vanilla ice cream to go with the coffee meringue so yummy! 
But I am pretty satisfied with what I get today. At least it taste okie and not burnt. Thought it is not fluffy, but it is crunchy and I can still eat it as a biscuit ;p For my next attempt I will reduce the sugar and add cream of tartar. AND get a pipping bag! 


Recipe follows: Adapted from FoodNetwork Giada's recipe of coffee and chocolate meringue
Ingredients
  • 3 egg whites, at room temperature
  • Pinch fine sea salt
  • 3/4 cup superfine baker's sugar*(I used confectioner's sugar)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar 
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
  • 2/3 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (I did not add this)
Directions
*Can be found at specialty cooking stores. Or you can use the food processor to grind the sugar into finer sugar.

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (Saw some reviews which says that 300 is too high and recommended it to be 225 - 250. So i use 250 and it turn out well) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt until frothy, about 1 minute. With the machine on medium-high speed, gradually add the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and espresso powder. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is thick and holds stiff peaks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 30 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool completely while still in the oven, about 2 hours.

Store airtight in a plastic container for up to 4 days.

Cook's Note: The meringue mixture can also be placed in a pasty bag fitted with a large, plain tip (recommended: Ateco # 9808) and piped onto the baking sheet.


No comments:

Post a Comment