Wednesday, June 22, 2011

日式鳗鱼饭 UNAGI DON


I just love Japanese food! Since I saw the supermarket at Chinatown selling one of my favorite Jap food---eel, I immediately grab one. Unagi Don is an easy one dish meal, great for someone lazy like me. It is also one of my comfort food. I have tried cooking it in Singapore but just doesn't taste and look as good as those serve in restaurant. It's too dry. I like food which has alot of gravy.

After watching one of my favorite cooking show 冰冰好料理, I finally knew the secret to this dish. I had always fry the egg first and than add the sauce that's why the eggs were overcooked. That's why the eggs did not managed to thicken the sauce. After the trying the way the show taught us, the dish came out just the way I liked! Bingo!

Serves 2
Ingredients:
1) Eel
2) 2 eggs slightly beaten do not beat until the yolk and white mix together
3) 1/2 big onion
4) 2 cloves garlic

Seasoning:
1) Dash of Pepper
2) 1 tablespoon ShaoXing Wine
3) Mirin (if you don't have, can use sugar)
4) Sukiyaki sauce or the sauce used for Jap noodles (if you don't have can use oyster sauce, soya sauce and sugar mixed to your taste. If you are doing this you can omit mirin)
5) Water or chicken broth

Steps:
1) Cook 1 cup of rice in the rice cooker. When it is done. scoop it into two bowls and set aside.
2) Heat up the pan with some oil, stir fry some garlic and big onions. If you like the big onions to be crunchy than don't stir fry for too long.
3) Add in the eel and seasoning and water. You can add in soya sauce if you find the sukiyaki sauce too sweet. The amount of water depends on how much gravy u like for the rice. I always "agar agar" the amount. But you must remember cannot be too dry cos after you add the egg the sauce will thicken.
4) Wait for the sauce to simmer than you can add in the egg. Do not stir too much.
5) Wait for a while for the eggs to be slightly cook but not fully cook (like the half boil eggs we eat at the kopi thiam) and you are done.
5) Add it to the rice in the bowl and voola you have an easy and yummy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment