Monday, January 9, 2012

Ayam Pong Teh (Nyonya Style Braised Chicken with Potatoes)

 

Bought some chicken thighs and potatoes for cooking curry but both my husband and myself caught the flu and cough virus so my plan is spoiled. Hmm so I have to change my plan. Initially, I wanted to cook braised mushrooms with chicken but than I wanted to have a change as I have cooked that many times (cos my husband loves to eat that). Searched the net for cooking Chinese style braised chicken with potatoes but in the end the nyonya style caught my attention. To be frank I have never eaten Ayam Pong Teh before. But the ingredients used for cooking this dish are all my favourite-- garlic, shallots, taucheong and gula melaka, and I have all these at home! I must give this dish a try! 

The end product is just delicious! I love it! Just give me a bowl of rice and it will be a yummy meal. Oh by the way I get this recipe from http://www.houseofannie.com/ayam-pong-teh-nyonya-style-braised-chicken-with-potatoes/


 
Ingredients:
1) 2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped (the author suggested to double this amount as she like the flavor of shallots. I totally agree! Must add more the fragrant is just so so nice)
2) 5 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
3) 1/4 cup peanut oil (or vegetable oil will work too), and I have used a little less oil
4) 1/4 cup tau cheong (brown bean sauce)
5) 3 tablespoon of dark soya sauce. I have used Cheong Chan cooking caramel (you can refer to http://jiajiajiuathome.blogspot.com/2011/08/part-2.html to have a look at what it is)
6) 1 tablespoon of soya sauce
7) 2 Tbsp gula melaka, chopped
8) 1-2 chicken thighs, chopped into pieces
9) 1-2  red potatoes
10) 1 1/2 to 2 cups water
11) salt to taste
Method:
1) Pound shallots and garlic into a coarse paste. Set aside.
2) Heat oil over medium heat, add shallots and garlic paste and fry for about 2 mins, making sure not to burn the paste.
3) Add tau cheong, dark soy sauce and gula melaka. Stir until sugar has dissolved and liquid has thickened, about 30 seconds.
4) Add chicken and potatoes and the water. Bring to a boil.
5) When the water boils, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1-1 1/2 hours.
6) Season with salt and soy sauce to taste. Depending on how sweet your brown bean sauce is (some brown bean sauce is sweetened), you might need to add a bit more salt/soy sauce to balance out the sweetness. The end flavors should be a nice marrying of savory saltiness with undertones of sweetness.




PS: I still have quite a bit of left over. So I kept it for the next day and I add tou pok, mushrooms and some white radish and cook it again for 30 minutes and turn off the heat let the ingredients sit inside to absorb the sauce. It really taste fantastic too!

No comments:

Post a Comment